Friday, December 21, 2007

Expedition


Yesterday Mama Lilibeth and I discovered the perfect place to go shopping in OKC, and the worst time to go shopping in OKC.

There's an area in north Oklahoma City with not only Quail Springs Mall (which is a typical mall, with all the amenities) but a Toys-r-us, a SuperTarget, an Old Navy, a Pier 1 Imports, a Radio Shack, a Sam's Club/Walmart, and basically anyplace you could ever need for a day of Christmas shopping. All of these things are within one city block of each other, more or less.

However...

Do not go there the week before Christmas. It's just flat out a bad idea.

There were so many cars and people that we were sort of overwhelmed. We almost ran out of Toys-r-us (without buying anything) because of all the people, and ended up getting a few gifts at SuperTarget. We had never actually been to a Target, (which shocked my in-laws no end) so Mom and I enjoyed seeing the legend first hand. Well, we would've enjoyed it, if a significant percentage of Oklahoma City hadn't been shopping in the same store at the same time.

They circled the parking lots like vultures waiting to move in on a rotting carcass, and then flew into the store to gather and feast. It was quite frightening and we were glad to get back on I-40 and head out of town.

I don't know how you city folk do it. I really don't. Granted it would be nice to have a grocery store, or even a gas station in our town, but I'll take my little village any day over that mess we drove through yesterday. As much as I now pity them, I'm glad we have relatives who live in the city so that we can take refuge when we brave the stores and the crush of people becomes too much.

6 comments:

Peter B. said...

LOL!

Soo, I take it you don't want to get into Chicago when you come visit us?!
Johanna feels the same way as you do, but I grew up in the city and work in the city as well so it doesn't bother me at all.
You should try again on Monday. There will be twice as many people on the road, in the stores, at the gas station. Each one spreading their own brand of Christmas "Cheer"!
Wish we could see you guys this year, but at least Johanna's Mom and Dad are driving up today! Yea!!

aftergrace said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
aftergrace said...

I'm going to try this again.
I can't believe you'd never been to a Target! That's our $100.00 store! Anyway, I don't know what Alli, and Ren would do without malls, it's a teenage wonderland.
Wish we lived where you all do though, smaller, safer, less populated, and less crime.

Qtpies7 said...

Oh, dear! Target is wonderful! Not as wonderful as Walmart, but way better than Kmart.
Much trendier clothes for teens and maternity, especially.

You have to get used to the cities if you live there, however, even now we'll leave in the frenzy times. Not worth it.

Anonymous said...

How do we do it? Are you kidding? We don't go there, LOL. Well, actually, I do go there, but I pick my times carefully, and usually it's very, very early in the morning, or very late at night. And I'm with you on those parking lots. They're a nightmare.

Sara said...

Why do you think we didn't move to Tulsa when J got the new job? lol In OKC we lived 35 blocks from the Wal-Mart by Penn Square mall and it took 30 minutes tio get there. I usually jumped on I-40 and went out to Macarther to that WM. I doo miss having a close Target, but that isn't reason enough for me to be in a bigger town.