Monday, November 06, 2006

If I see one more ad. . .

I am absolutely thrilled that tomorrow is election day. Is it because I'm excited and honored to be a part of the great tradition of democracy? Is it because I'm looking forward to electing an excellent official to serve my region? No!!! It's because I am absolutely disgusted with all the political trash talk, and I frankly don't care one hoot if "Jim Bob Bubba Joe was rasied right here in the county and has down-home values"! My mailbox is flooded with oversize cardstock flyers, every other ad on the television is about why "so and so" would make a better "whatever" than "what's her face". They take one little comment by their opponent, give it no context at all, and then parade it around like a scarlet "A" hoping the voting community will recoil with shame. Well, I won't.

Frankly, I've come to the point where I don't believe a single thing any of them say. I don't believe they have "the best interests of Oklahoma at heart". I don't believe that their opponent is a money-grubbing, pandering nepotist. I don't believe that they have Washington values. I don't believe that they don't have Washington values. I know who I'll vote for, because I know what the basic party lines are and there are some I have moral problems with. But I won't be going tomorrow to draw my little lines to the arrows because I'm happy to be an American. I'm going because I will be celebrating the end of another disgustingly vicious political season. Sorry, but that's just the way it is. Maybe I need to go back to school and take some American history. Or maybe I ought to go to Iraq, and get a little wisdom and thankfulness from someone with a purple finger.

No comments: