Sunday, May 27, 2007

Mamma Called the Doctor...er..Blogger


Any surefire remedies out there for a sore throat? My poor, long-suffering hubby has had a sore throat for several days now, and can hardly swallow. He went to the doctor on Friday, and they say it's not strep. He can't find anything that cuts the pain very well, medicine-wise, so we're down to looking for folk remedies.

And forget the Southern Comfort with lemon and honey suggestions. We don't drink alcohol. (That's what my college friends talked about using when they were sick.)

4 comments:

Johanna said...

Maybe try a cup of hot water with a splash of vinegar and a tablespoon of honey.

Eshtemoa said...

The thing I use to cut the pain is medicine - those chloraseptic lozenges or spray that numb the throat - I don't know of any natural remedy, sorry.

JAM said...

I have no help for you on this one. Sounds just like what I had last December when Lovely Wife and I were in Louisiana. I kept a bottle of Chloraseptic spray with me at all times. It helped a little and was better than nothing. Of course my mother had me gargling hot salty water but that didn't seem to help much either. When we got back to Florida, my Dr prescribed some antibiotics, but I'm not sure if it was the medicine or the time that made the pain go away.

I'll certainly pray for his recovery.

SunnyBrook said...

Sometimes even just a spoonful of straight honey helps. I like to make the honey lemon tea or honey peppermint tea. Fisherman's Friend original flavor lozenges are good for sore throats, although they taste a bit like licorace, for which I don't care. You might also try alkaseltzer, since that would get aspirin directly on the affected area. If he doesn't have sinus congestion, he may like to have a milky drink, like custard. That would coat the area and keep it moist and less itchy. You can make some by mixing a couple spoonfuls of instant pudding powder (any flavor) into milk and microwaving...add cinnamon for flavor. Lastly, I understand about the Southern Comfort, but what about Nyquil at night. (wink wink)