Thursday, February 22, 2007

Thursday Thirteen #8


13 Reasons I don't "Just write a bestseller" as per the instructions of my loving spouse.

1. I have no idea what I would write about.
2. Everything's been done. Over and over and over.
3. What if people hated it?
4. What if people loved it, and I had to come up with more?
5. Publishers receive thousands of manuscripts. They wouldn't even read mine.
6. I'm not sappy enough to write Christian fiction, and I'm too inhibited to write secular fiction.
7. I don't have time.
8. Someone might make fun of me/my work.
9. I don't know any literary agents.
10. I'm lazy and undermotivated
11. My mother has to publish her trilogy, first. (Only fair, Mom)
12. I've had very few life experiences from which to learn.
13. I have a lousy signature for the book signings.


Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



10 comments:

Chickadee said...

LOL! My husband has also instructed me to "write a besteller" because I also enjoy writing.

I don't even know where to begin with finding someone to publish my book, much less finishing what I have written.

My 13 is up.

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

My accountant keeps telling me to write bodice-rippers. If that's how Anne Rice got her start, I should, too, he thinks.

Just sit down and write a story. Let it all happen from there. If you want to market it, do. If not, don't. But don't let all these fears stop you from doing what it sounds like you want to do -- write.

Publication's not the goal. Telling a story to the best of your ability is. The rest is just bonus materials for the DVD. *wink*

Happy final TT. Thanks for stopping by West of Mars; I hope you'll come by again.

Raggedy said...

Thursday Thirteen has come to an end.
I have enjoyed my visits here and consider us friends.
Thank you for sharing your thirteens with me.
The comments you left me filled me with glee.
It is hard to believe it is really true.
I am trying very hard to not be blue.
Happy TT'ing!
*^_^
(=':'=)
(")_ (")Š
Raggedy

Robin Green said...

You've been tagged for a meme!

Unknown said...

LOL I love this! My husband used to think that until he saw everything I've gone through. Now he proof reads. :)

Happy TT!

Code Yellow Mom said...

Hilarious! I could second every single one of these. That "bestseller" is a haunting notion, isn't it? Possible and yet not, all at the same time. :) I find it hard to lose myself in character and plot creation when there's a two-year-old who needs his sippy cup refilled, etc., etc., etc.

JAM said...

Yeah, pretty much everything has been written, but not in YOUR voice. That's what people love about their favorite authors, not so much the original story as the way they write, the words they use, unusual but perfect descriptions of ordinary things.

Blogging has helped me get over the problem of typing what I think. Before I could only think and write with a pen and paper; I couldn't write fiction on a computer. But last November I wrote a whole novel during National Novel Writing Month. I was blown away by how the words flowed. You might give that a try this year.

Also, I can't write to order. People are always telling me, "You should blog about such and such..." but that just closes down my mind. My wife has alread "spent" the millions from my "best sellers" if I would just hurry up and spit 'em out.

L^2 said...

I like #13 - that is an excellent excuse! :-)
Happy TT.

Qtpies7 said...

I have enough fun making excuse notes for my kids for missing school, lol. I don't need to try for a best seller. Besides, I don't take rejection well.

Anonymous said...

You should consider participating in National Novel Writers Month (google it) in November. It was the most exhilirating thing I ever did. After a while the characters of the novel just write it for you.