Monday, May 12, 2008


I'm in love.

I got to visit an IKEA in Chicago, and I may never be happy with any other store. Art even enjoyed shopping there, and actually suggested things we could buy. Really. I almost passed out right there on the floor. I left my shopping heart in Illinois.

IKEA is a Scandanavian store based on offering good, original furniture and household items for reasonable prices. There are so very many options, and almost all of them are Wal-Mart prices, but much higher quality. (i.e. real wood) They're especially designed to work in small spaces and make the most out of what room you have in your home. In fact they're one of the first places I've seen that really understand how small a "small bathroom" is. Unlike those magazines that show you how to make the most of a small bathroom and then show you a picture of something the size of a bedroom here in middle-class America.

Art and I bought 6 pieces of furniture and a cart full of things for the kitchen, all for the price of one couch at a furniture store. It was an epiphany. From now on I save up all my "I'd Likes" for a trip down to Dallas. (The closest IKEA to Oklahoma)

Of course, we haven't actually started using our furniture yet, but I don't anticipate a great amount of disappointment because of the recommendations we had from so many others who've been happy with their purchases.

Anyone who is looking to furnish or decorate a small space, or even a large one, should find out if they live near an IKEA first. You can take the kids, too, because they have a large play area where you can drop the little ones off while you shop, or little play areas scattered throughout the store if you want to take them with you. There is also a restaurant/grocery area with great food. The whole store is designed for efficiency and the comfort of the shopper, which means lots of family friendly ideas.

Can you tell I'm obsessed?

7 comments:

aftergrace said...

Wow, now you've perked my interest in this place. I'll have to see if we have one close by.

Lilibeth said...

Maybe it's a good thing there isn't one close by.

Melissa said...

You were 2 miles from where I grew up!!!! :) I love that Ikea! Did you go to any of the malls around there?

Melissa said...

Welcome to the IKEA side! There are two people in the world...People who love IKEA and peole who don't love it yet because they havn't been there. Ohhh how I miss it

Qtpies7 said...

I need to just bite the bullet and go. Ours is by the Mall of America. I don't go that way often, but when I do I can't get anyone to agree to go to IKEA. My mom will go with me, so I have company now.

I'm glad you had a fun trip! I almost miss Donnie traveling with his job. It was fun going to new places with him.

Anonymous said...

You'll have to post pictures. Do they have a website? Could you maybe order furniture online? That would be cool!

Crissybug said...

IKEA really rocks. We got one in our town a few years back. It is really a great store. I hope one get built somewhere near you in the not to distant future.