Saturday, December 02, 2006

Madrugamos



Isaiah and I were both up by 6:00am today. I'm afraid I've passed the early-bird gene on to my son. That's got its good points and its bad. On the bad side, as any mommy knows, is the loss of that relaxing time in the morning, when one could theoretically read, bathe, eat and all those other luxuries. On the good side, I won't be the only one up every morning for the rest of my life.

Let me tell you, it's not all a bed of roses for the early risers of the world. (so to speak) Slumber parties, for instance, are all but pointless. I would go to bed early, because I was already exhausted, and then sleep a few dangerous hours while everyone else was running around hyped up on adrenaline and Dr. Pepper, playing Truth or Dare with Caboodles full of cast-off make-up they'd collected. Any girl who survived the Jr. High years will understand why my being asleep during that time was dangerous. (Anyone else remember Caboodles?) Then, at about 6:30, I'd be up, and the rest of the house would be silent. I usually got to know the family pets, brought a good book, and helped my friends' parents fix breakfast. Now that I think about it, that's probably why I ended up being closer to the parents than the children in some instances. I remember waking up early at one friend's house and helping her dad milk the cow, which was actually a lot of fun. Another annoying thing about being an early riser is that my friends always insisted I wake them up in the morning so that we could play. I would tell them they didn't actually want that, but they would insist, so I would try. I don't know why I bothered. No one ever got up when I tried to wake them; not for more than a few tense seconds, anyway. (You weren't the only one, Bramblerose)

Well, I guess Zaya's not much company yet, since he's just watching Blue's Clues, but I've got a lot to do this morning anyway. We're going to OKC to be with Aaron's maternal grandparents, aunts, uncles etc. It's going to be a busy day.

Good thing I got up early.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember Caboodles! Though by the time I reached that age, people didn't take them to slumber parties anymore...but I used them as jewelry boxes for years.

Anonymous said...

i hate getting up early....