Thursday, February 14, 2013

Using Useless Space

Last Saturday we turned Mim's top bunk into a Lego play center. I don't think I should have to tell any parent why we thought this would be a good idea, but I will enumerate the reasons below for those of you who may not be experienced with the blessing and the curse that is Lego.

1. I am tired of stepping on Legos. They cause pain like no other toy...with the possible exception of jacks.

2. Mim's room still has carpet. There are some very, very, very small pieces in those sets. The carpet eats them.

3. My kitchen table should not be a place where I have to push around Lego sets to get anything done.

4. The schoolroom floor should not be a place where I have to push around Lego sets to get anything done.

5. My bedroom should not be a place where I have to push around Lego sets to get anything done.

...ad infinitum...

Her bottom bunk now has two mattresses. Art put a sheet of plywood, to which he affixed a sheet of vinyl flooring, onto the struts of the top bunk.

As long as she doesn't sit up suddenly in the middle of the night, we should be fine.

She currently has a Lego doll house, (garage sale find!) a lego cafe, horse trailer and laboratory (Christmas gifts) and a huge tub of all Daddy's Legos from childhood. Zaya's Star Wars Legos have also been included. It only makes sense, really, since she's the builder, and is easily just as much a Star Wars nerd as he is.

 It's quite a collection, and I'm just picky enough to want to keep them all separate from each other, hence the multitude of tubs.

Will this help her room to look a little less like a FEMA event? Only time will tell.

No comments: